Skanda Purana, translated by Bibek DebroyThis is the thirteenth Purana that I am reviewing. I realized that there were only a few Puranas left for me to review. I decided to do one part at a time. I thought that I would first review the tamsik puranas that were left (3 now 2), then I would review the satvik puranas left (2) and then the rajsika puranas left (2). So, here I am writing a tamsik purana, the Skanda Purana. The Skanda Purana is the longest Purana. It is more that eighty-one thousand shlokas long. It is huge. I also found out something. It comes thirteenth in the list of Mahapuranas and this is my thirteenth purana review! It was a coincidence which I didn’t realize until I started writing the review. Let us get into the review now.
There are seven sections or khandas in the Purana. They are:
- Maheshwara khanda – the khanda related to Shiva.
- Vishnu khanda - the khanda related to Vishnu.
- Brahma khanda – the khanda related to Brahma
- Kashi khanda – the khanda talking about the city of Kashi.
- Avanti khanda - the khanda talking about the city of Avanti.
- Nagara khanda – the khanda elating to cities.
- Prabhasa khanda – the khanda talking about the city Prabhasa.